Living on-campus for the first time? Here are some useful tips to feel more comfortable in your dorm and with your new roommates.
1. Spend time in the common areas, keep your door open and try to learn your neighbors’ names.
2. Get to know the Resident Hall Association (RHA) - they know everything about the living space and what is and isn't allowed.
3. You don't have to break the bank to create a comfortably cute space. Be inspired by these dorm decorating tips and get creative while staying on a budget.
4. Go visit other rooms on your floor and in your building. They could be really cool!
5. Set ground rules with your roommates the first week you are living together, and then readjust accordingly (each semester, each month).
6. Create a clear roommate schedule for cleaning, cooking, TV time, availability, etc.
7. Open communication is key to a peaceful living environment. Be upfront about things that bother you instead of bottling your emotions.
8. Bring in the Resident Assistant (RA) if you are having problems – they are trained on handling roommate disagreements.
9. Designate a study space for yourself. Whether that is at your desk, in the library or in a study room on campus, set aside a place just for homework and studying.
10. Set boundaries early and don’t worry about the little things.
11. Make friends with your roommates. Find common interests and invite each other to activities.
Adjusting to dorm life can be tough, but it can bring some of the best times in college. It’s up to you to get involved and make the most of your on-campus living experience.
Save this blog post to your Pinterest page!