The sun is shining, school is out and adventure awaits! Here are 21 things you can do in Cedar City during the summer.
1. From world-famous to local favorites, there are hikes for the novice and expert within an hour of SUU. Here are this year's top 10 hikes in southern Utah.
2. The French Spot strives to create a corner of French culture in Cedar City. Treat yourself to a crêpe, quiche, or delectable French dessert this summer.
3. Join the community for the 20th annual July Jamboree on July 8. Closing Main Street, the family-friendly event features antique cars, food trucks, an American Ninja Warrior course and bouncy house.
4. Paddleboard at our favorite local reservoir - the Lake on the Hill. The lake and SUU Outdoors both offer rentals for paddleboard and fishing equipment.
5. Held every Wednesday night and Saturday morning, the Downtown Year Round Farmer's Market is the perfect place to pick up fresh produce or handmade crafts.
6. The Palette Creamery offers artisan ice cream made in house with quality ingredients. Try one of their unique flavors this summer!
7. Coal Creek trail winds through Cedar City along its namesake waterway offering a safe place for walkers, runners and bikers. Enjoy scenic views as the path winds through several parks and picnic areas.
8. Cool down at the Tiki Shack, Cedar City's original shaved-ice shack for fluffy snow, lots of flavor options, and delicious add-ins and toppings.
10. Swing away your worries by hammocking on campus. Permanent hammocks are set up in the Living Room (Student Center) and hammock rentals are available at SUU Outdoors.
11. Our T-Birds are loving the Cedar City Food Truck Roundup! Held every Wednesday, 4-8pm at the Stratford Court Hotel, you can get a gyro, BBQ sandwich, and açaí bowl all in the same place.
12. At the Neil Simon Festival, professional actors, designers, directors, and artisans gather to create a new season of laughter that always includes some of Neil Simon's plays and occasionally other great comedies. Shows run through July and August.
13. The Southern Utah Museum of Art (SUMA) is itself a work of art – a permanent sculpture that houses an art museum. This single story, 20,500 sq. ft. museum is organized into four components: the entry, five gallery spaces, administration offices & an education classroom, and the storage and support area. SUMA is housed at the newly completed Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts on the campus of Southern Utah University.
14. The Utah Shakespeare Festival's 2017 season includes Shakespeare in Love, Romeo and Juliet, As You Like It, Guys and Dolls, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Treasure Island, The Tavern, William Shakespeare's Long Lost First Play and How to Fight Loneliness. Tickets are available now, and if you are a student be sure to purchase the Student Access Pass. Arrive early so you can watch the free nightly Greenshow.
15. Witness history at the Parowan Gap Petroglyphs. Yet to be dated, these works of art are thought to be from many different ancient indian groups who resided in the area.
16. Held every Friday night, Off the Cuff Comedy delights and entertains the funny bone with hilarious performance styles.
17. For adventurers looking for a relaxing escape, consider exploring the diverse wonders of a geothermal pool. Enjoy the surrounding scenic beauty as you soak in the warm embrace of the natural waters. We found 10 hot springs located within one to four hours away from Cedar City ranging from resort style to backcountry experience.
18. Bulloch Drug is located on Main Street. While it may act as a pharmacy, it also offers a small antique/decor store, soda and ice cream bar and hundreds of candies to choose from.
20. Located at the only independent record store in southern Utah, weekly Open Mic Nights highlight local artists of all genres.
21. The Grind is within walking distance of campus and offers coffee, treats, cold drinks.
22. And don't miss the SUU Aviation BBQ this 4th of July. Enjoy free food and the spectacular Airport Firework Show on Independence Day!
23. We know Las Vegas is not in Cedar City, but how could we leave this weekend trip off the list? Only 2.5 hours away, Las Vegas offers plenty in the way of weekend escapes. From fancy restaurants to world-class shopping and more, you'll find the perfect day trip or weekend getaway in Vegas.
Share your summer adventures with us by using #TBirdNation!