A university is an institution of higher learning that offers both undergraduate (associate and bachelor’s) and graduate (master’s) programs. Universities vary considerably in programs offered and in size.
Compared to colleges, universities are usually larger, offer more courses and majors, and have more research facilities.
Universities may be divided into a number of “colleges” or schools, such as the College of Education or the School of Business. Each college has several departments, and each department may offer more than one major.
Southern Utah University has seven colleges and schools:
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Performing and Visual Arts
- College of Science and Engineering
- School of Business
- School of Integrative and Engaged Learning
- School of Graduate and Continuing Studies
SUU has over 150 majors housed in each of the schools and colleges.
Find the version of this article in Spanish here: ¿Qué es una Universidad?