We may mock the elaborate, death-defying dates that are seen in Hollywood movies, but as it turns out there's actually something scientific to those over-the-top, thrilling adventures.
According to Dr. Matthew Weeg, assistant professor of biology at Southern Utah University, dates that include adrenaline-pumping adventures over the traditional dinner and a movie, can create faster love connections.
Having a fun, and slightly terrifying, experience such as riding a rollercoaster, skydiving or rock climbing, causes dopamine to be released in the brain. “Dopamine, often referred to as the love chemical, is connected to our pleasure center and positively reinforces the “good” feelings you get from doing an exciting activity and creates an emotional connection to the person you are with,” said Weeg.
Thrill dates can stimulate desire, euphoria, attraction and arousal. So if you take that person you’ve been dreaming about on an adventurous outing, you significantly increase your chances of winning them over.
Lucky for you living in southern Utah makes it easy to go on these adrenaline-pumping experiences.
Give these 8 thrill-seeking dates a try and watch your love life flourish.
- Take to the Skies Get a birds eye view of the incredible red rocks of Kolob Canyon in a helicopter ride with SUU’s professional pilot program. Elevate your date to new heights and enjoy the view from the top.
- Splash Around Rent a kayak at SUU Outdoors and take it to Sand Hollow State Park. Spend a fun afternoon basking in the sun while taking turns mastering the oars. If you’re feeling bold, recreate the “Kiss the Girl” scene from The Little Mermaid.
- Hit the Slopes Go skiing at Brian Head or Eagle Point. Whether your style is flying down the mountain or pizza the whole way down, this will bring you closer knowing that you can overcome anything as a team. Let yourself enjoy nature, and then enjoy a nice warm cup of hot coco. If you or your date isn’t quite ready to conquer the slopes, try sledding as another great way to enjoy the mountains.
- Reach the Top Reach new peaks in your relationship—literally. Rock climbing is a great activity for two. If you or your date are beginners, hit the SUU rock climbing wall and race each other to the top. Experts say that rock climbing is a popular activity for couples because it relies heavily on communication and trust. And as an added bonus it’s a great full-body workout.
- Free-fall Free-fall your way into love by skydiving with Skydive Zion. Soar over the stunning scenery of southern Utah and Zion National Park. The fear induced by this death-defying activity will create an unforgettable bond.
- Horse Around Go horseback riding with a guided tour; it is an exciting pastime and a fun first-date idea. Riding through the natural beauty of southern Utah can be a great way to get to know each other. You’ll be galloping off into the sunset before you know it.
- Take a Hike There is no better way to get your heart pumping than by hiking on a beautiful scenic trail. Pack a picnic to create a romantic, one-of-a-kind date experience. By living in southern Utah you have access to multiple national and state parks, try visiting Zion, Cedar Breaks or Bryce for your adventure-packed date.
- Go for a Spin Heat things up with a spin around the ice skating rink at The Glacier Rink in Cedar City. Skating is a great excuse to get close and hold onto each other as you help one another across the ice. Feel the romance as you fall all over the ice – and each other.
Get the blood pumping with these adrenaline intense activities and experience riding the love high first hand. Create memorable moments, strengthen your connection and increase your attraction. All you need is a sense of adventure and a little planning to enjoy a date that will bring you two closer than ever before.