Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is giving back to the Cedar City community again this year. VITA is a student run organization that prepares tax returns for anyone who makes $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance, all for free.
It’s a great opportunity for students at Southern Utah University to gain tax experience while helping the community. VITA is open Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in room BU 207 and is a first come first served basis.
If you want your tax return completed by VITA, here is a list of what you need to bring with you:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Original copy of social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers if desiring direct deposit (such as a blank check)
- Total amount spent on tuition and books during the tax year, if applicable
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099), if applicable
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number, if applicable
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
If you have any additional questions, contact the SUU School of Business.