You have made through the whole semester and now all you need to do before you can taste sweet freedom is pass all of your finals. This may be a little easier said than done, but with a little luck, a lot of studying and some advice you can breeze through your exams, papers, and presentations.
“It is important to keep on top of your notes, and develop a good study schedule so studying won’t be as overwhelming,” said Garth Frehner, psychology major. “The better your habits for studying the better the grades you will get which will set you up for a successful future.”
“For me, whenever I would keep a water bottle with me when studying, it was easier for me to stay alert and focused,” said Vanessa Kirkby, chemistry major. “My brain was able to keep with all of the information I was going over. I even felt less stressed and more confident about my finals.”
To make it through finals here is what you’ll need:
- Sleep & Relax: Getting enough sleep at night and giving yourself mental breaks from your studies can really go a long way in to help you pass your finals. Studying for too long can exhaust your brain and you won’t retain all of the information you need. You’ll also mentally wear yourself and make mistakes. Getting 7-8 hours of sleep at night will give your mind a chance to unwind and help you stay focused during your exams.
- Eat & Drink Water: In preparing for your finals, it is easy to just snack and drink coffee and energy drinks. Yes, these things will give you a little boost when you need it most, but too much will hold you back from give your final paper, presentation or final your all. Eating nutritional snacks/meals will allow for increased focus and retention of material. And don’t forget to drink water because your brain works best when it is hydrated.
- Ask For Help: As you are studying you may realize you might have missed a few notes in class or a section on the study guide may not make sense. You can always ask for help! Whether it is a tutor, classmate, or even a professor you can find someone who can help you understand material or share notes with you. Everyone at SUU wants to see you pass your finals and be successful!
- Confidence: When you walk into your class to take your test or crank out that final paper have faith in yourself that you can do it. Do not get stuck in you head and talk yourself down. Give yourself a pep-talk at home or listen to your favorite pump up song before you head into the test. Find something that gives you the boldness to pass your finals!
- Celebrate: Once you have turned in your last assignment or took your last exam go out and treat yourself to a your favorite food or movie with friends because you made it through the semester in one piece. That is something you should be proud of!
You have all of SUU, friends and family cheering you on as you take on finals week. You have spent the whole semester working up to this point, you got this!