Looking for a meal that will impress your friends, help you fight the freshmen 15, and reassure your mother that you’re just fine living on your own? If so, keep reading. The Orzo Comfort Dish is a delicious, vegetarian meal that is both nutritious and won’t break the bank.
Two ingredients in this recipe, kidney beans and celery, are among world’s healthiest foods containing benefits to keep you at your best. Red kidney beans help stabilize blood sugar levels, increase energy levels and lower heart attack risk. Celery is low in calories and adds a nice flavor to any meal. Now, put on your cooking apron, roll up your sleeves, and let’s get cooking.
Estimated cost: $6
Prep time: 35 minutes
Estimated calories per person: 220
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, slices
- 1 cup raw orzo
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth (add more if needed)
- 1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
1. Heat oil in large skillet or pan.
2. Add onions, celery and garlic.
3. Saute until tender and set aside.
4. Cook orzo according to package directions, using chicken broth instead of water.
5. Drain orzo in colander.
6. Add orzo, beans, salt and pepper to onion mixture.
7. Mix gently until combined.
For additional healthy recipe ideas, contact our Nutrition Department or register for a class.